- Urud dhal – 2 cup
- Black peppercorn (optional) -1tsp
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 3
- Onion (finely chopped) -1
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil -for deep frying
- Salt – to taste
Vada recipe or medu vada is a famous South Indian delicacy. These crispy vada’s are a favorite snack which is loved by all. This vada recipe is served with sambhar, coconut chutney, or tomato chutney. If you have been to India, especially to South India every single restaurant will have this vada recipe in their menu. The flavor of this vada is awesome as the added ingredients to give that delightful taste. My mom use to make this snack very often and I love it. Here is a simple preparation method to make this vada recipe.
Preparation of Vada Recipe:
- Wash and soak the Urad dal for 4 hours before cooking.
- Grind the soaked urad dal for a smooth batter with little water.
- Now to the batter add the above ingrediants (pepper, green chilli, onion, curry leaves, and salt)
- Heat the oil in a large pan or a kadai.
- Place a thick plastic sheet in your hand.
- Take a little of batter and place it on the plastic sheet, then flatten the batter evenly and make a hole in the center with your finger and put it into the oil for deep frying.
- Keep a bowl of water beside you and dip your hands in water every time you take the batter to make the vada.
- Fry the vadas till they become evenly browned and crispy.
- Drain the vadas on a tissue paper to take away excess oil.
- Serve the vadas, hot with sambaar or coconut dips or tomato dips.
Tips while preparing Vada Recipe:
If the Urad dal batter becomes watery, then add some semolina to the batter for an instant fix. Put a pinch of bicarbonate soda (aka.. Idli Soda, baking soda) to the batter to get a crispy vada recipe.