- Basmati Rice 500g
- Kheema (Mutton/chicken) 250g
- Medium sized onion 4 (thinly sliced)
- Plain Yoghurt 125ml
- Large tomato 1 (chopped)
- Medium Potatoes 3 (round sliced)
- Ginger paste 2 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste 2 tsp
- Green Chillies 3
- Fresh Coriander 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Fresh Mint 1 cup (chopped)
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Pinch or two Saffron or food color
- Green Cardamoms (cracked open)3
- Cinnamon Broken 1" piece
- Cloves 4
- Chilli Powder 1tsp
- Ghee or Oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
Keema Biryani or minced biryani is one of the variety of biryani dish. As the mutton price is increasing day by day where some people cant afford to get it all the time, for them here is a simple and easy way to make keema biryani and relish the same briyani taste by using minced mutton or chicken. Keema Biryani is a rice dish made out of minced mutton or chicken with other spices and vegetables like potato etc. It is an ideal recipe to make, especially when you have plenty of guests at home. This keema biryani is one which certainly should not be missed out. It can be served with raita or onion salad.
Method to prepare Keema Biryani:
1. Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes, wash and drain it.
2. Heat the pressure cooker and add 3 to 4tbsp of ghee.
3. Now add the garam masala (Cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves) and saute gently.
4. Add the thinly sliced onions over a medium heat until quite brown and sticky.
5. When the onions are in nice golden brown color, add garlic paste and then ginger paste, stir fry for a minute.
6. Now add the Keema, tomatoes, potatoes, green chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice, chilli powder, yoghurt, salt and stir it. Close the pressure cooker lid with the whistle on it.
7. After two whistles remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
8. Meanwhile add the soaked rice to a cold water and bring it to boil. Boil it for 2 minutes and then drain it.
9. Now in another pan, spread one third of the partly cooked basmati rice on the base, then spread the keema sauce which prepared in cooker, then spread rice again evenly and add the remaining mixture of the sauce on the top.
10. Take a little amount of water or milk, add saffron food color and drizzle it over the top of the rice. This process of drizzling the color will create the rice grains of different colors in the final keema biryani.
11. Cover the pan with a lid and cook in a very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. This process is called as Dum (in Urdu).
12. Finally remove it and gently mix the content and garnish it as you like.
13. Serve it hot with raita or onion salad.