- 1 Cup Basmati Rice (soaked for an hour)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 medium sized onion thinly sliced
- 2 small sized tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 3 Slit Green chillies
- 2 Green Cardamon
- 2 Cloves
- 3 to 4 petals of star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium stick of Cinnamon (broken)
- 3 tablespoons of refined oil
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- Few Coriander and mint leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
Bagara Rice is the most popular dish among the Urdu speaking people. It is a mixture of spices with basmati rice. The origin of this bagara rice started in Hyderabad. Vegetarians in Hyderabad used to enjoy bagara rice apart from biryani for which the city is famous for. This bagara rice is very similar to the Nei Chor (நெய் சோறு in Tamil) or Ghee rice of South India. The Bagara Rice is famously called as Bagara Khana in Urdu. They add roasted cashews and raisins to Ghee rice which is not added here. This bagara rice goes very good with Dalcha and Kurma. This Bagara rice is made in lot of Muslim festivals and marriages. So relish this dish enjoy its taste.
Preparation of Bagara Rice Recipe:
- Wash and soak the Basmati rice in water for about an hour.
- Heat oil and ghee in the deep broad vessel.
- Add the garam masala (cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and green cardamom) and saute it till the aroma arises. Smells delicious right?
- Now add the thinly chopped onions and saute again till it become golden brown.
- Add a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste, salt and stir it well for a while
- And then add your tomatoes, green chilies, chopped coriander and mint and again stir it for a minute and then add two cups of water and bring to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, add the soaked rice and let it boil till the water is not fully absorbed but say three fourth of it.
- Now close the lid and keep something heavy on the lid and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes. This process in called giving Dum in Urdu.
Bagara Rice (bagara khana) or Khuska is now ready to serve. Serve it with Onion Salad, Raita, Dalcha, Mutton Kurma, Chicken Kurma, Kofta curry, etc.
Health Benefits of Ingredients used in Bagara Rice:
- Do you all know that Basmati Rice are rich in High calorific value that mean if you consume 100g of basmati rice you will gain more than 100 calories and thus gaining you an instant energy. They also contain carbohydrates, proteins, lower in fat, rich source of vitamins, iron and gluten. Most of the variety of basmati rice doesn’t contain cholesterol in them and thus it is very nutritional to our health especially for heart, nervous system and digestive system.
- Spices (Garam Masala): As I have mentioned in my previous post of Nargisi Kofta recipe spices provide anti-inflammatory benefits that is they provide balance blood sugars and act as a anti-oxidants. They improve cardiovascular health and blood circulation.
- One more important ingredient is added here that is Star anise (chakra phool). This spice has more health benefits like it relieves abdominal discomfort, it is used as a expectorant and soothes cough and cold and mostly used in cough syrups. Consumption of this star anise promotes lactation for nursing mothers. And this is also used to treat acne, scabies and lice infections.
- Onions and garlic are rich in a wide array of essential nutrients. Onions contain vitamins, mineral, zinc, potassium, protein, folic acid, calcium, fiber, flavonoids etc and garlic contain sulfur, selenium, arginine, falavonoids and oligosaccharides. Both garlic and onion act as antioxidants and can be treated for the prevention of cancer.
- Tomatoes are the most versatile food ingredient and it contains vitamin C and vitamin E and the red pigment in tomatoes are called as lycopene which act as an antioxidant. Some research has indicated that consuming tomatoes can help older people stay active all day longer.
- Mint is well known as mouth and breathes freshener and it is used to control digestion, nausea & headaches, respiratory disorders, cough, etc. This is also used to cure asthma and used for skin care. While coriander is used for the treatment of swellings, high cholesterol, conjunctivitis, blood sugar, menstrual disorders, diarrhea, skin disorder, etc.