- 1 litre Milk
- ½ cup Basmati Rice
- Almonds - 8 nos
- Pistachios - 8 nos
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon - Cardamom powder
- Saffron - 2 pinches
What is Kheer Recipe?
Kheer recipe is a traditional festival dish for all occasions and we used to do it in a house warming ceremony in India. It is also known as rice pudding adorned with pistachios, cashews and almonds, an easy and all time favorite dessert for every age. This Kheer is otherwise called as Phirni. The simple difference between Kheer and Phirni is the amount of milk. If the amount of milk is more, it is called Kheer and when the amount of milk is less then it is Phirni. This Kheer or Phirni are usually consumed along with Naan and badam Halwa in some of the Muslim marriages.
How to prepare Kheer Recipe:
- First wash and soak the Basmati rice in a cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry using a muslin(white) cloth and grind the rice as nice as coarse powder.
- Drain the almonds and pistachios in one cup of hot water for 5 minutes. This will make easy to peel the skin of the almond and chop them into small pieces.
- Heat the milk in a pan and bring it to boiling stage till the milk becomes thick with creamy foam at the top.
- Add the Basmati rice powder, sugar and generally cook on a low heat flame.
- When the rice is boiling add the cardamom powder, saffron and nuts and cook to shimmer on low heat flame till the rice is cooked completely.
- Once when the mixture is thick enough remove it from the heat flame and allow it to cool.
- Garnish with more chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Kheer recipe is usually served in a small clay bowls which are also called as matkas.
- Kheer Recipe can be refrigerated and served. Ummmmm…Mouth watering isn’t it?
Tip to watch out while cooking Kheer Recipe:
Healthy benefits of Kheer Recipe:
- Milk is a major source for calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein which are very essential for the development of bone, teeth and growth. Their consumption also reduces the risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Rice is rich in carbohydrate and vitamins which gives a fast instant energy, stabilizes the blood sugar, resistance to high blood pressure, dysentery and cardiac disease.
- Almonds are rich in vitamin E, calcium, phosphorous, iron and magnesium. It also contains copper, zinc, selenium and niacin. By eating almonds every day we can get relief from constipation, respiratory disorder, cold, cough, anemia, impotency and also diabetes and heart disease. It is also essential for healthy hair, skin care and dental care.
- Pistachios are the good source of phosphorus, copper, potassium and magnesium and thus they have a high nutritional value.
Try kheer recipe now and tell us how tasty it was by leaving your comments below. Also kindly do share this kheer recipe to your next door neighbor in Facebook and Twitter.