- Semolina (Coarse) 2 ½ cups
- Coconut (Desiccated) 1 cup
- Self-Raising flour ½ cup
- Caster Sugar 1 cup
- Yoghurt 200g
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- Almonds 25 (approx)
- Unsalted butter ( melted) 200 g
- For making Syrup:
- Caster Sugar 1 ½ cups
- Lime juice/ lemon juice 1 tsp
- Rose Water 1 tsp
- Water 1 cup
Basbousa or sweet semolina cake with rose water and lemon syrup is extremely popular in Middle East and also throughout Egypt. Basbousa Recipe are usually prepared in a large tray, and cut into diamond or square shapes with any type of nuts like almond, pistachios, cashew or pea nut in the center of each piece for decoration and finally soaked with the delicious sweet syrup on it. Aah Heavenly taste.!
Preparation of Basbousa Recipe:
- Take bowl, mix the above ingredients (semolina, coconut, caster sugar, self raising flour, yoghurt, melted butter and vanilla).
- Spread the mixture into a greased baking tray.
- And cut into diamond shapes.
- Put one almond in the centre of each diamond.
- Place the tray in an oven at 180 degree Celsius for 30-40 min until it is golden brown.
Preparation of Syrup for Basbousa Recipe:
- Place a pan and bring suger and water to a boil until the sugar dissolves.
- Low down the flame for 5 min and then stir lemon juice and rosewater.
- Take away from the heat and now allow it to cool.
- Pour the syrup over the Basbousa Recipe cake, let it cool at room temperature and serve it.